Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sonlight vs.....AGAIN?????

Well time marches on.

As we wrap up this school year, I am excited about the changes to come. Well, it's hard to be "excited" w/ so much going on, but I am looking forward, let's just say.

The neighbor that I have homeschooled for 2 years is going back to public school.It would be more beneficial to the family for him to be engaged 8 hours a day at school, instead of coming over here for a short time of tutoring.

I really feel that God led us to homeschool him and we have been blessed in unexpected ways from it.

However, his special need is different from the special needs that my kids have, so it will be good to get back to only dealing w/ our crazy stuff.

And I have tried so many different things trying to find what works best. This child has low comprehension, so having him join our Sonlight Core didn't work out. Well my husband says I should have just kept reading aloud and letting him get whatever he got, but I was trying to address his learning needs and thought that there had to be something out there to fit him. I eventually just found the level where he worked comfortably and let him work there, building his skills. Pretty much, all the kids just started working on their own and we didn't do alot of group stuff.

As you may recall, I recently started using Five in a Row and Beyond Five in a Row. Each child has a scrap book and I print out things from enchanted learning.com that correspond w/ the story.

I thought it would help the neighbor remember what we read. I thought that by looking at the projects, he would recall the book and info. It hasn't really. My kids enjoy the scrap book, I guess, but they seem to just enjoy being read to. They do not enjoy the crafts like I thought they would. I am surprised. They rush to get done.

So I will continue doing what I am doing for now, but having one less student does make me start thinking again about curriculum choices. What curriculum has a lot of reading aloud(my dyslexic son especially loves being read to), no projects...? ;)

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

As always, may you find exactly what you need. ...and if that is Sonlight, so much the better [smile].

~Luke